Psygnosis was a vaunted British game developer and publisher, perhaps known mostly for their games for the Commodore Amiga, such as the smash hit Lemmings. The iconic futuristic racing game Wipeout was their second-biggest seller, getting a boost by being a launch title for the blockbuster PlayStation console.
Now, Wipeout is back, but this time you can play it in your browser. A fan-made port of the original 1995 game has been released, and it’s surprisingly good.
The port was created by Dominic Szablewski, who reverse-engineered the PC version of Wipeout and recompiled it to run in a web browser. The game features all of the original tracks and vehicles, as well as the iconic anti-gravity racing gameplay.
The port is not perfect. The graphics are a bit dated, and the controls can be a bit slippery. But overall, it’s a faithful recreation of the original game that’s sure to please fans of the series.
Here are some of the highlights of the browser version of Wipeout:
- Full game experience: The port includes all of the original tracks, vehicles, and gameplay modes from the 1995 game.
- Easy to play, hard to master: Wipeout is known for its challenging but rewarding gameplay. The browser port does a good job of capturing this, with tight controls and fast-paced racing.
- Free to play: The browser port is completely free to play. You can download it and start racing right away.
If you’re a fan of Wipeout or futuristic racing games in general, I highly recommend checking out the browser port. It’s a great way to experience this classic game without having to dig out your old PlayStation.
Here are some tips for playing the browser version of Wipeout:
- Use a keyboard and mouse to control the game. The controls are not as good with a controller.
- Start with the easier difficulty settings until you get the hang of the game.
- Be careful not to overheat your vehicle. Overheating will cause your vehicle to slow down and eventually explode.
- Use the boost wisely. Boosting will give you a speed boost, but it will also overheat your vehicle.
- Practice makes perfect. The more you play, the better you will become at racing.
I hope you enjoy blasting your way through the browser version of Wipeout! Click here to play it now.